Magic: the Gathering
Budget cEDH Deck - Prime Speaker Vannifar
This Article discuss a decklists focused on resilient combos for Prime Speaker Vannifar as a budget deck for cEDH
- Estimated value of U$ 40,00
- The deck should be as strong as possible and should try to win consistently when playing against other decks in the same price range.
- Basic land does not count towards the final value of the deck. Snow-covered lands enter the final deck's value.
- The commander's value goes into the final price of the deck.
comboarchetype. A good tutorial on how to use this type of strategy can be found in the cEDH Manual.
- To have the commander in the battlefield field without summoning sickness
- Activate Vannifar multiple times until you put a Protean Hulk onto the battlefield
- Sacrifice the Hulk and take a pile of cards to make infinite mana.
- Draw the entire deck.
- Loop spells that give + 1 / + 1 to your creatures and hit for lethal.
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Elvish Mystic (1), tutoring Monitor Corridor (2)
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Monitor Corridor (2), tutoring Pestermite (3)
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Pestermite (3), tutoring Breaching Hippocamp (4)
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Breaching Hippocamp (4), tutoring Chakram Retriever (5) and casting a spell to untap Vannifar
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Chakram Retriever (5), tutoring Great Oak Guardian (6)
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Great Oak Guardian (6), tutoring Protean Hulk (7)
- Use some untapper to untap Vannifar
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Protean Hulk (7)
- Protean Hulk triggers, take one of the stacks: Incubation Druid (2) + Vigean Graftmage (3) + Spectral Sailor (1) OR Grand Architect (2) + Pili-Pala (3) + Spectral Sailor (1)
- Pass the turn
- Generate infinite mana with one of the stacks and draw the deck with Spectral Sailor
- With the deck in hand, use the loop combo with Memory's Journey + Reclaim detailed below
- Protean Hulk trigger, include Ornithopter (0) on the original stack
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Ornithopter (0), tutoring some drop 1 (Llanowar Elves (1) in this example)
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Llanowar Elves (1), tutoring some drop 2 creature (Kiora's Follower (2) in this example)
- Activate Vannifar by sacrificing Kiora's Follower (2), tutoring Tribute Mage (3)
- Tribute Mage will trigger, tutor Lightning Greaves
- Cast Lightning Greaves and equip the mana-generating creature to start the combo on the same turn
Memory's Joruney & Reclaim's Loop
- Cast Autumn's Veil
- Cast Reclaim, placing Autumn's Veil on top of the deck
- Casting Memory's Journey, shuffling Reclaim on the deck
- Activate Spectral Sailor to draw Reclaim and Autumn's Veil
- Cast Autumn's Veil
- Casting Reclaim, placing [card (Memory's Journey) on top of the deck
- Activate Spectral Sailor to draw Memory's Journey and Autumn's Veil
How to Combat
Combo and support partsThe creatures needed to make our staircase reach the Protean Hulk, such as Corridor Monitor (2) and Pestermite (3) have been mentioned previously. For them to work correctly and linearly, we have to ensure that they are all on the deck, so that no Vannifar activation fails to find a necessary creature. On the deck there are two ways to deal with unwanted cards in your hand. First, we have the instant card Brainstorm that makes us draw three cards and return two cards from our hand to the top of our deck. There is also the Riverwise Augur whose effect of entering the battlefield is equivalent to that previously mentioned, which makes it into a Brainstorm in the form of a creature. Because it is a creature, it is easily tutored with the help of our commander, which makes its mana cost negligible. However, you must remember of always be careful when this effect will be used, since the cards are placed at the top of your library and not reshuffled in it. Although it is not possible to win in the same turn or the next turn, it is good that the commander is activated as soon as possible so that the deck is shuffled. Cards that give haste are good on this deck because they allow the combo's resolution to happen on the same turn as it hits the table. Lightning Greaves, Instill Energy and Crashing Drawbridge are the honorable mentions in this category. The boots are old known to Commander players, can be tutored via Tribute Mage and equipped for free. In turn, the enchantment, in addition to giving haste to the creature to which it is attached, also serves as a way to untap it. Finally, the Bridge has the ability to boost all of its creatures that are on the battlefield at the time their ability is activated.
RampOur list runs a large number of mana dorks in order to get into a comfortable position as quickly as possible to perform our victory combo. Cards like Birds of Paradise, Arbor Elf, Llanowar Elves and the like are great at the beginning of the game for facilitating the commander's entry and are part of the game plan. Seeker of Skybreak can also function as a ramp if you have some mana dork in the battlefield. One of the best creatures for the deck, however, is Kiora's Follower. Because it is a permanent untapper, it can function either as a ramp, untapping land or a dork, or untapping commander so that it can be activated again.
InteractionIn general, it is necessary to keep the commander on the field for one turn so that our game plan can reach the end. Thus, we run a large number of ways to protect it. Autumn's Veil, Blooming Defense and many others are spells capable of giving protection to our creatures that are already on the field. Mizzium Skin is one of the deck's honorable mentions because it brings with it the flexibility to protect one creature or to protect all of our creatures that would be the target of spells. But in order to protect something in the field, we must first summon that something. So we run a considerable amount of counterspells on our deck. We opt, mostly, for low cost spells, usually with some condition (usually some cost that the opponent must pay) for the counter to be successful. As it is a deck focused on going off quickly, it does not seem absurd to think that the amount of mana available to all players is small. Thus, we assume that the probability that a player will answer some of his creatures is low and still have mana available to pay the fees applied by our counters.
This Deck Needs KnowledgeSince the deck has very convoluted and a little fragile combos, it is necessary to be quite comfortable with all the lines before adapting to the deck. It is not the kind of deck that you lend to your friend who has learned to play in an FNM right now.
StrengthsThe deck is quite consistent, manages to emerge victorious frequently and has ways to react to opponents' interactions.
WeaknessesThe deck operates with a linear and easy to predict strategy, which makes it simple to stop it. In addition, it is necessary to have a strong knowledge of the other decks at the table in order to plan your plays accordingly.
Number of goldfishes: 50
Average win turn: 4.96
Standard deviation: 0.48
Mulligan for how many cards: 6.8
Standard deviation: 0.65 Naturally, the deck is slower than its alternative without a budget limit, but it is also extremely consistent. Usually the combo's turn was also performed with some protection in hand. This ends the first article in the series. I will be back soon with another budget deck in a new archetype ...