Pauper: The New Post-Ban Affinity
10/11/21 0 comments
In today's article, I discuss the new Affinity variants with Alexandre Weber, also known as _against_, who took third place on September 26th's Challenge!Edit Article
yes! Affinity is a deck that can adapt very well to changes in the format's metagame, precisely because it can move through different color combinations and game styles, such as aggro, midrange and combo.
Jeskai Affinity on Pauper
Pauper's New Affinity
Grixis. The Grixis version isn't all that new, the deck even did some results even before Sojourner was released or banned.
Hamudaused the list below, without adding Deadly Dispute, when he went to runner-up in the Pauper Challenge in June.
Grixis Affinity on Pauper
Interview with Alexandre Weber
_against_(Alexandre Weber) about the experiences he's been having with the deck, since he recently made a Top 3 on September 26's Pauper Challenge with the list below:
1. It's been a few weeks since the ban. Which Affinity list do you think is best positioned for the current metagame?I didn't play with many, I tested some UR lists, but using Disciple of the Vault seems crucial as a way to kill the opponent in the absence of Sojourner's Companion. The big question is whether to play Gearseeker Serpent or not, it attacks very well, but it can also be chump-blocked and doesn't contribute as much to the combo. So far, I've only tested the Grixis version without the serpent and I really liked it, but I have to test it with the card too.
2. We are no longer seeing Temur and Jeskai lists. At what point do you think they lost space?The Temur and Jeskai variants lost space because the color black has added more to the deck with another angle of attack with Disciple, Deadly Dispute and with Reaping the Graves on the Sideboard.
3. The lists moved from using Electrickery on the sideboard to using Makeshift Munitions on the main deck. What do you think of this change, and what is your opinion about the match against Faeries?Makeshift Munitions is great, as it's a tough threat to take off the field because it's an enchantment, and it goes a long way with Disciple, killing in an alternative way to Atog and Fling. Electrickery has been losing ground in Affinity, as Krark-Clan Shaman is a much more flexible and powerful way to kill multiple creatures at once.
4. Of the tier decks, in your opinion, which are the worst matches for Affinity?There aren't many bad matches. I imagine Tron can be quite difficult with the sideboard plan they have been using: (Ancient Grudge and Fangren Marauder). Elves tend to have a good game 1 and a good sideboard plan with lots of Hydroblast to counter Krark-Clan Shaman. Decks like Auras and Heroic can be tricky too.
5. Finally, how you would sideboard this challenge list against the main decks of the format?On the mirror, it's important to know which version you're up against. The more blue cards like Serpent, the more Pyroblast you will bring (even bringing all Pyroblast if you see many snakes in the first game). As for what to side out, usually you'll cut the quantities of some cards, taking some combo cards like 1 Fling and 1 Makeshift Munitions, and some less structural draws in the deck like Ichor Wellspring and Deadly Dispute to make room for big the number of cards sided-in.